POSITION DESCRIPTION ENGAGEMENT INTERN
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is a National Historic Landmark and accredited museum in Miami, Florida (www.vizcaya.org). The Engagement Intern will support various projects to learn more about the impact of Vizcaya’s engagement initiatives with adults and family audiences. The Engagement Intern will assist in making family resources and engagement activities, create video content for Vizcaya’s website, conduct informal (conversational) or formal surveys with visitors onsite, input and compile data and review survey analysis with a variety of museum staff. This internship is an opportunity to explore how museums can better serve communities through tours, resources, and programs and how they impact visitors’ experience. The Engagement Intern is on the Engagement & Cultural Resources Team in the Community Partnerships, Programs & Interpretation Department, and reports to the Adult Learning and Interpretation Manager.
Vizcaya is owned by Miami-Dade County and is operated by the non-profit Vizcaya Museum and Gardens Trust, Inc. Our mission is to preserve the estate’s cultural and environmental resources to engage people in connecting with the past, understanding the present and shaping the future. Our vision is to position Vizcaya as an enduring, inclusive and innovative place that inspires people to embrace the cultural vitality and environmental sustainability of the world around us. Essential Functions
- Assist Adult Learning and Interpretation Manager with creating family resources and activities based on compiled surveys and research.
- Create video content of family activities to upload on Vizcaya’s family webpage.
- Collect feedback through conversation and conduct surveys with daytime visitors (adults) and community program participants (adults and families).
- Input feedback into an excel worksheet for analysis with an external consultant.
- Input feedback into excel worksheets and input data and pull reports from Survey Monkey for review and analysis.
- Research specific contextual information related to museums and family engagement.
This internship description is not designed to be comprehensive; duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Learning Opportunities
- Intern will gain experience in creating family-centered resources based on visitor feedback.
- Intern will gain experience creating video content.
- Intern will gain experience in data collection and analysis.
- Intern will gain experience in utilizing survey software.
- Intern will gain understanding of family's needs during museum visit and post-visit.
- Intern will gain experience and understanding in museum education.
Factors Vizcaya Will Consider When Evaluating Applicants
- At least 1 year of work experience in a public engagement field (such as teaching, learning, volunteerism, civic engagement, etc.).
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Commitment to collaboration and customer service.
- English fluency.
- Spanish, Haitian Creole and other language skills.
- Experience working with children and/or families.
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens offers competitive compensation and generous paid leave for part-time interns. The hourly pay for interns meeting the requirements of this position is $18/hour. Work Environment/Physical Demands
Some work is done in an office setting, with some portion involving interaction with the public, community members and other constituents on site. Vizcaya is a non-smoking environment. Ability to negotiate various terrain including stairs indoors and outdoors and walk/stand or be mobile for at least 90 minutes in various weather conditions. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Position Type/Expected Hours of Work/Schedule
This is a part-time temporary internship (12-18 hours per week) to be scheduled between approximately February 5, 2024– May 31, 2024, not to exceed 186 hours. Schedule is flexible and may include evening programs with advance notice. This position may support academic requirements, check with your academic institution. To Apply
Please submit a resume and a cover letter expressing how your interest and experience align with this position description to: Internship@vizcaya.org. Please reference the internship title in the subject line of your email. Equal Opportunity Employer
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is committed to equity and inclusion and is engaged in a strategic process to ensure that our staff, Board and volunteers reflect our community’s diversity. Vizcaya welcomes applicants from groups that are underrepresented in cultural organizations and seeks to recruit, develop and retain a diverse workforce.
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is an equal opportunity employer. Vizcaya respects people of all backgrounds and does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, childbirth, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, familial status, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, status as a victim of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking, or other applicable legally protected characteristics protected by law.