Factors Vizcaya Will Consider When Evaluating Applicants and Determining Compensation
- At least 2 years of work experience in landscape maintenance, horticulture, public horticulture, or a closely related field.
- Associate degree in landscape maintenance, horticulture, or closely related field.
- Knowledge of landscape Best Management Practices and Integrated Pest Management theories and practices.
- Knowledge of or the ability to quickly learn a wide variety of tropical and subtropical landscape plants, including orchids and epiphytes.
- The ability to ensure the safe application of fertilizers, herbicides, and insecticides, and ability to acquire State of FL Pesticide Applicator license.
- Ability to safely operate powered hand tools and other equipment as required.
- Demonstrated communications and project management skills.
- Positive attitude, good interpersonal skills, flexibility and commitment to collaboration, customer service, strategy, and innovation.
- English fluency.
- Additional relevant work experience, training, certification, and education.
- Experience using heavy landscape equipment; operation and maintenance of power tools.
- Experience in living collections management, including accessions management.
- Public garden or estate management experience.
- Knowledge of orchids and epiphytes.
- Spanish, Haitian Creole and other language skills.
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens offers competitive compensation with generous paid leave, retirement benefits, and robust medical and other insurance for full-time employees. Salary will be based on the selected candidate’s experience and skills. The anticipated compensation is approximately $53,700 for someone meeting the requirements of the position to approximately $59,000 for someone exceeding them. Work Environment/Physical Demands
The majority of work is done outside in varying climatic conditions that include excessive heat and humidity. The position requires sitting, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling. The position requires the ability to stand for long periods of time and to safely traverse uneven surfaces. The position frequently lifts and/or moves up to 50 lbs. The position works with typical landscape maintenance equipment and materials. The position involves some interaction with the public, community members, partners, donors, vendors, contractors, and other constituents. Vizcaya is a non-smoking environment. Position Type/Expected Hours of Work/Schedule
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), exempt position. Periodic evening and weekend work is required. To Apply
Please submit a resume and a cover letter expressing your interest in this position to: HRVizcaya@vizcaya.org
. Please reference the position title in the subject line of your email. Equal Opportunity Employer
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is committed to equity and inclusion and is engaged in a strategic process to ensure that our staff, Board, and volunteers reflect our community’s diversity. Vizcaya welcomes applicants from groups that are underrepresented in cultural organizations and seeks to recruit, develop, and retain a diverse workforce.
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is an equal opportunity employer. Vizcaya respects people of all backgrounds and does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, childbirth, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, familial status, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, status as a victim of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking, or other applicable legally protected characteristics protected by law.
Updated October 19, 2023