Founded in 1981 by Ted and Lin Arison, YoungArts provides award winners with a lifetime of creative and professional development opportunities as they pursue a career in the arts. Beginning as an artistic competition and expanding to include a range of opportunities for funding, creative support, and professional development, YoungArts’s evolution continues to be driven by artists.
“I think that the arts are the soul of our nation. I felt that the arts had almost become an endangered species and I realized, especially with young people, that YoungArts will ensure the future of our soul.”
For many young people, applying to YoungArts may be the first step in affirming “I am an artist.” YoungArts is one of the only organizations in the U.S. that supports artists across 10 disciplines at all stages of development, beginning with the critical moment when they decide to pursue a life in the arts, and continuing throughout their careers.
Every year thousands of performing, visual and literary artists aged 15-18 apply to YoungArts through our national competition. Finalists attend National YoungArts Week to collaborate with peers and develop their crafts with internationally recognized leaders in their fields. Finalists in their senior year are further eligible for nomination as a U.S. Presidential Scholar in the Arts —one of the nation’s highest honors for high school students.
- Our Mission: To identify exceptional young artists, amplify their potential, and invest in their lifelong creative freedom.
- Our Vision: A world that embraces artists as vital to our humanity.
For more information, visit youngarts.org, Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
Learn more about our commitment to inclusivity here.
Director of Advancement
The Director of Advancement works closely with the Senior Director of Advancement and Vice President of Advancement to create strategy for the Miami market and execute a plan to increase and diversify the individual and corporate major gift efforts at YoungArts, with the expectation of securing $1M in commitments annually. This role will be located in Miami, FL with travel to New York City and Los Angeles as needed.
The Director is responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individual and corporate major gifts from funders nationwide, but with a strong concentration in the Miami market. They will support YoungArts’ annual programs, operations and special projects and are responsible for managing their own major gift moves-management pipeline with regular reporting updates in Raiser’s Edge as well as to senior leadership. The ideal candidate should be excellent in relationship building, confident working with all levels of donors from foundational and mid-level to high-net-worth major gift donors, and will have extensive experience with, and knowledge of, the national arts funding environment. This candidate should have a positive attitude and be a self-starter who is excited to bring their existing relationships to YoungArts, as well as jump in to cultivate and steward relationships that YoungArts has established in the Miami market.
Essential and Other Responsibilities (performs other duties as assigned):
- Support strategy and help execute a plan to increase and diversify individual and corporate major gifts with an emphasis in the Miami market.
- As the primary fundraiser based in Miami, proactively manage, maintain, and grow a robust portfolio of donors who are aligned with YoungArts’ priorities.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individual and corporate major gifts from funders in Miami and nationwide supporting YoungArts’ annual programs, operations and special projects.
- Contribute to the efforts of the YoungArts fundraising team as we build out a more equitable and diverse advancement practice.
- Assist the VP of Advancement with the strategic development planning of a robust major gift program in the Miami market.
- Work with the Sr Director of Advancement to create and implement a comprehensive annual plan for sustaining and growing the current major gift portfolio at YoungArts.
- Proactively identify, research and cultivate short and long-term prospective funders, leveraging established relationships and those of YoungArts’ senior leadership (executive director, senior staff, and trustees).
- Monitor donor trends on local, state and national levels.
- Support development and management of a strategic communications plan for major donors, including the coordination of site visits and meetings in Miami and around the nation.
- Take the lead on creation and execution of print and email fundraising appeals (currently 4 throughout the year)
- Produce progress reports for management and board review.
- Document and track all fundraising activities in the Raiser’s Edge database, and develop and distribute regular progress-to-goal, moves management and donor activity reports.
- Adhere to all policies pertaining to physical safety and security
- Report any potential or actual violations to Security