Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Install and de-install exhibitions, as designed by Curators which includes but is not limited to:
- Receive and safely unload exhibition crates and deliver to appropriate storage and/or galleries.
- Unpack and repack exhibition crates.
- Properly store and organize crates and other packing materials.
- Construct exhibition cases, pedestals, and displays on as needed basis. Temporary Preparators with experience in building furniture, walls, stretchers, frames, and other exhibition needs may be responsible for more specialized builds.
- Properly and carefully handle, pack, install, and move art objects (all media, including 2D and sculptural works as well as audio and video) throughout the Museum.
- Safely stage or store artworks in an orderly manner as directed by Curatorial staff.
- Meet exhibition deadlines as laid out by Curatorial staff.
- Prepare galleries for exhibitions including clearing of galleries and gallery walls in preparation of new exhibitions and proper repairing and painting of gallery walls during and after deinstallation.
- Clean, maintain and ensure proper order of exhibition galleries, including but not limited to: cleaning glass/plexi, dusting frames, pedestals, and sculptures.
- Call for appropriate help if artwork is damaged.
- Observe and report all defects, deterioration, and wear on the facilities to appropriate Museum staff.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Competent in carpentry, wall preparation and painting.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to understand and apply Museum and Departmental policies and procedures.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to work flexible hours and adaptable to exhibition deadlines.
- Ability to lift 50lbs.
- Must be comfortable and able to maneuver and safely use ladders and other equipment, potentially including but not limited to scissor lifts, boom lifts, and forklifts.
- Must have reliable transportation.
Required Education: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Required Experience: A minimum of 1 year of experience in art handling, construction, and shop supervision.