KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of aquatic animal husbandry techniques, aquatic life support operations, aquatic animal nutrition and aquatic animal veterinary practices.
- Knowledge of closed system aquarium operation with mixed taxa.
- Knowledge of species native to South Florida preferred.
- Knowledge of marine conservation issues of South Florida preferred.
- Knowledge of aquatic, biology, and basic chemistry concepts and be able to apply to an Aquarium setting.
- Knowledge and recognition and treatment of common aquatic diseases, aquatic husbandry techniques and aquarium maintenance, including water quality, cleaning, and advanced exhibitry.
- Knowledge of Federal and State permitting necessary for collection and possession of aquatic animal collections.
- Must be proficient in Dive safety, SCUBA procedures.
- Ability to decide when to act independently on behalf of department and when to seek consultation from the VP of Animal Husbandry.
- Ability to develop and implement significant programs and projects.
- Ability to share information and knowledge via a variety of mediums to staff, including teaching, coaching, and mentoring.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally with guests, colleagues, staff, media and other individuals.
- Ability to respond to a variety of supervisory related circumstances including selection, performance management, and termination.
- Knowledge and experience in aquatic animal collecting techniques
- Experience in aquarium or zoo diving program is highly desirable.
- Small boat handling skills.
- Skills in plumbing and carpentry.
- Skilled in the use of hand and power tools.
- Skilled at observation for signs of illness or injury, monitoring of eating patterns or any changes in behavior
- Skill in database management and MS Office, including spreadsheets.
- Ability to supervise staff and manage human resources effectively.
- Ability to implement financial plans and budgets.
- Ability to work collaboratively to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Ability to work in extreme conditions outdoors, in the field and indoors with irregular hours and schedules.
- Ability to respond to after-hours alarms and animal or life support issues.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Biological or Environmental Science
- 6 years of aquatic animal husbandry experience at an aquarium or zoo with 1 year supervisory experience (work in an AZA accredited facility is preferred as is experience with other animal taxa such as avian and reptile collections).
- Nationally recognized certification as an Open Water Scuba diver or higher required
- Boat handling and field collecting experience is preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle, or feel; and talk and hear. The employee is required to stand and walk for prolonged periods of time, along with climbing and reaching with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move from to 50 to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Must be able to work in high and low places.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those as employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Work is performed both indoors and in outdoor settings. Outdoor work subject to temperatures up to 100 degrees, rain, humidity and sun. Work will also be conducted on a boat with the same outdoor conditions already listed.
- Level 2 background clearance as defined by Miami-Dade County Public Schools.
- Drug screening as part of the Drug Free Workplace Programs
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine(s) by date of hire to be considered for employment unless applicant is eligible for an exemption and able to provide supporting documentation for an accommodation under Title VII and/or ADA with the Human Resources Department.
APPLY NOW! - https://www.frostscience.org/careers/