BACKGROUND Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is a National Historic Landmark and accredited museum. The estate is owned by Miami-Dade County and has been operated by the non-profit Vizcaya Museum and Gardens Trust, Inc. since 2017. Vizcaya’s Board of Directors was reconstituted in 2019, with the goal of enhancing the estate’s preservation and educational programming. Restoration and revitalization of the Vizcaya Village, which is located across the street from the house and gardens, is a high priority.
Our mission is to preserve Vizcaya’s cultural and environmental resources to engage people in connecting with the past, understanding the present and shaping the future. We are positioning Vizcaya as an enduring, inclusive and innovative place that inspires people to embrace the cultural vitality and environmental sustainability of the world around us.
DEPUTY DIRECTOR FOR ADVANCEMENT The Deputy Director for Advancement is Vizcaya’s senior fundraising professional and responsible for coordination and oversight of all fundraising activities, including grants and donations, memberships, annual fund drives and fundraising events. The Deputy Director supervises a team of five experienced, full-time professionals: Director of Major Gifts; Director of Corporate, Foundation and Government (“CFG”) Relations; Director of Fundraising Events; Director of Membership; and Advancement Operations Manager. The position reports to the Executive Director/CEO.
• Creates and successfully executes a cohesive, innovative and strategic vision for all fundraising activities to support Vizcaya’s operating and capital needs. Works with Advancement team to plan and implement the framework for accomplishing fundraising goals in accordance with the strategic plan.
• Helps to identify Board prospects and serves as principal staff liaison with the Board’s Development Committee.
• Develops, leads and implements a new capital campaign for revitalization of the Vizcaya Village with an anticipated goal of at least $25 million. Ensures its success by devising a comprehensive campaign strategy, establishing time-bound benchmarks, using data to drive decisions and securing organization-wide buy-in and collaboration.
• Works with colleagues and the Board of Directors to significantly increase annual operating support from contributed sources to ensure the organization’s long-range viability and growth, with a focus on cultivating and securing major gifts from individuals (including Board Directors), corporations and foundations.
• Works with colleagues and the Board’s Government Relations Committee to cultivate and steward relationships with elected officials and enhance government support.
• Works with colleagues to project and track contributed revenues; ultimately oversees departmental budgets.
• Develops policies to ensure accountability and transparency, including rigorous tracking of grants and donations and use of Altru constituent database by Advancement Department staff.
• Works closely with other senior staff to determine strategic directions for institutional initiatives.